1. What are the next steps after signing an agreement of purchase and sale?

Once your agreement becomes 'firm', send our office a copy of the agreement (or have your agent send us a copy). If you are arranging financing (for a purchase), let your lender know we are acting on your behalf. Upon receiving your paper work, someone from our office will be in touch with you shortly with further details.

2. When do I come in to sign the paperwork?

Typically, you will need to come into our office a few days prior to closing (in a residential purchase or sale transaction). Someone from our office will contact you about a week prior to closing to set up this appointment.

3. Do I need title insurance?

Most lenders require our office to arrange for title insurance in connection with your purchase. In most cases, title insurance actually saves you money because our office does not have to conduct as many off-title searches. The vast majority of purchasers opt for title insurance, if only for the fraud protection value alone.

4. When will I get the keys to my new home?

On closing day, keys can usually be picked up from our office between 12pm to 3pm, although it could be up until 5pm. When your keys are ready, our office will call you to let you know.

5. Do I really need to do a final inspection when buying a home?

We always recommend that you go through the property one last time prior to closing (usually a day or two before) in order to ensure that the property is in the same condition as it was when you submitted the offer to purchase. It is easier to negotiate a settlement (if there is a problem) before you give the seller his or her money.

6. Should I incorporate?

Incoporation provides two main benefits:​ corporations are taxed at a lower rate than individuals and operating as a corporation provides protection in case you are sued - the person or entity suing you can only go after the assets of the corporation rather than your personal assets, such as your personal residence.

7. Do I need a will and powers of attorney?

Yes, everyone should have a will and powers of attorney. A will disposes of your assets according to your wishes upon death. To ensure that your assets are distributed property, your wishes must be in writing.


Powers of attorney are effective while you are living and allow someone to basically do anything that you can do. There are two types of powers of attorney: personal care and property. Powers of attorney are most often used when someone becomes incapacitated and can no longer conduct their own affairs.

8. What is land transfer tax, and do I have to pay it?

In the province of Ontario, everytime you purchase a home (with the exception of first time home buyers), land transfer tax is payable to the provincial government. The amount of land transfer tax is a percentage of the purchase price. Sellers do not pay land transfer tax.

9. Do I have to pay HST when buying or selling a home?

There is no HST payable in connection with residential resale properties. If you are buying a residential property from a homebuilder, HST is in addition to purchase price, although most homebuilders build the HST component right into the agreed upon sale price.

Disclamer: The material contained in this section is for general information purposes only and is not to be construed as legal advice. Please contact our office should you wish  to discuss anything in further detail.